Sword & Wizardry vs. The Barrowmaze: The Planning Stages
My long time gaming group had recently started to get into 5th Edition D&D when my buddy who was DMing had to bow out. My group has been also playing in my wife's Werewolf the Apocalypse game, but they still wanted to play a fantasy game.
So I volunteered to run something that I have been dying to DM, Greg Gillespie's Barrowmaze.
Even better I supported the Indiegogo Barrowmaze Complete
I have never run Sword & Wizardry before but ever since I got my copy of the Complete Sword & Wizardry In have been itching to give it a go. Barrowmaze was designed for the Labyrinth Lord RPG which is a retroclone of B/X and 1st Ed AD&D, so I need to tweak a few things but not much.
The House Rules
Character CreationAll of my players are going to need to roll up three complete Player Characters.
They pick which one they start with. The other two go into the Fresh Meat Folder
Fresh Meat - If a PC dies and is not resurrected, player draws a random PC from Fresh Meat
Abilities - Roll 4d6 drop the Lowest (Median: 12)
- Strength - Non-Fighters can get a +1 to Hit and +1 Damage if STR 13+
- Intelligence - Magic-Users with Int 15+ gain an extra 1st Spell Slot at 1st level
- Wisdom - Clerics & Druids with Wis 15+ gain an extra 1st Spell Slot at 1st level
- Added Half-Orc Player Race from The Lost City of Barakus (S&W)
- Monks: has 2d4 Hit Dice at 1st Level (from LL-AEC) & Must be Lawful Good or Lawful Evil
- Thief: Use D20 System for Thief Skills (from ACKS)
- Clerics: Must be Lawful Good or Lawful Evil
Alignment - Five Point System (Holmes)
- Lawful Good
- Chaotic Good
- Chaotic Evil
- Lawful Evil
- Imported some items and prices from LL
- 1 Turn (10 Minutes) > 1 Combat Round (1 Minute) > 1 Segment (6 Seconds)
- Fighting Withdrawl & Retreat Declare before Intitiative
- 2nd Missile shot at end of Sequence
- Morale Roll at end of Sequence
- Descending AC used
- D12 Critical Hit & Fumble Rules in effect
- Attack of Opportunity
Player & GM Aids
I decided to create some aids for myself and my players
Since none of them have ever played S&W and I created some things to help them out